FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Salvador Perches
PH: (915) 373-7677
Before I Die, Perches Funeral Homes Festival Celebrates Life and Death
Perches Funeral Home, 6111 S. Desert Blvd. 79932
Saturday August 17,2019
A different kind of festival is coming to El Paso, Tx… rather than art and music, this one focuses on one thing - DEATH.
Death almost always seems to be a surprise. That’s why most people are woefully unprepared when it happens. The Before I Die Festival at Perches Funeral Homes, is taking place Saturday August 17th, in El Paso, Tx. This festival will help people plan ahead for their 100% guaranteed mortality with (10) death-discussion-friendly events. The 'Before I Die" festival is a day-long event that covers every facet of death, from funerals to hospice care, and even the afterlife. The festival works to help hospice, caregivers, doctors, nurses and anyone interested in planning ahead with a variety of death-related topics. The festival will also feature a number of events and will conclude with a showing of a movie "Undertaking Betty” and a tribute to Juan Gabriel in celebration of his life.
Gail Rubin, Certified Thanatologist and The Doyenne of Death®, an award-winning author and TEDx speaker, is the featured presenter at the festival. According to Rubin, by taking even a few small steps you can reduce the stress, conflict and confusion death causes.
“The first thing people need to remember is that talking about death and planning ahead won’t kill you,” said Rubin. “Collecting important personal information and expressing a disposition preference will make it easier for your loved ones to take the next steps that require a bit more effort.”
“Quote by local festival coordinator or sponsor.”
Before I Die, Perches Funeral Home Festival events will take place at 6111 S. Desert Blvd. from 8:00am to 6:00pm. All events are free.
The schedule of events includes the following activities:
- “Death Café” conversation preceded by The Newly-Dead Game® that allows everyone in the audience to play along, answering questions about wills, final disposition preferences, advance medical directives, and thoughts on a final resting place. The game prompts questions and conversations in a fun, upbeat way.
- “Laughing in the Face of Death: Funny Films for Funeral Planning:” Gail Rubin’s keynote speech incorporates comedy film clips to illustrate the importance and benefits of preneed funeral planning
- Speakers and panel discussions on a range of end-of-life issues.
- Estate Planning and End-of-Life Issues: local estate planning experts and attorneys will answer people’s questions about the financial and legal aspects of planning ahead.
- Hospice and Medical Aid-In-Dying: Discussing Vital issues
- “How Do You Want to be Remembered?” is a panel discussion on obituary writing, ideas on how to leave one’s life story for future generations and wording for memorial markers.
- Downsizing Before Dying: Organizing and the challenges of downsizing your material goods
- “Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Death **But Were Afraid to Ask” brings
- Outdoor “Mortuary Mall,” features caskets, urns, cremation jewelry, and other funeral/memorial products and services for attendees to examine and ask questions of knowledgeable staff.
- Movies that will make you laugh and help you learn about funeral planning and end-of-life issues. (Undertaking Betty, 2002 PG-13)
(Breakfast and lunch will be provided for registered attendees)
The full schedule of events is available online at www.perchesfuneralhomes.com and Perches Funeral Homes Facebook
The festival is free and open to the public
Festival attendees can enter a drawing to win door prizes.
This Festival is made possible with the following sponsorships:
Free El Paso Museum tours available all day
Food Trucks on site all-day
Celebration and concert tribute to Juan Gabriel will start at 5:00pm
For more information and to register call (915) 581-0102
“Just as talking about sex won’t make you pregnant, talking about death won’t kill you,” said Rubin